[Year 12 SofDev] graduates with coding experience

Walker, Michael A walker.michael.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Nov 14 00:51:13 UTC 2018

>Hi All

>Can someone please point me to reliable (ha ha) statistics of how many students with a method in computing graduated in the last five years with good coding skills?

>Also how many of them are still working in teaching?

>And can we extend that back to ten years?

Would be interesting to see if any are available, although you would need to compare to other methods as a control group to determine any variance.

>Do you know any of them personally?

Yes, me. I graduated in 2011 with methods in Mathematics and Computer Science. I’ve had two student teachers with Computer Science as a method since then, so they do exist.

Having said that, there were 15 students in my CS Curriculum class across 2 universities (LaTrobe and RMIT), so there aren’t huge quantities like say Maths / Science. In fact, I must admit I was cursing choosing CS as a method compared to Science given there were lots of Maths / Science jobs and zero Maths / CS. However, when one unusually appeared at a Maths / CS ongoing, I was quite pleased when I got it, especially after being told a couple of years later that there wasn’t a very big field of applicants compared to Maths / x positions advertised.

I suspect it’s a little chicken and egg – there are few jobs for someone with a CS method, but that may well be because if you advertise a CS job you get few applicants…

Michael Walker,
Doncaster SC.
IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Training.