[Year 12 SofDev] A research question...

Tracey Hubert traceyhubert at gmail.com
Wed May 27 23:09:42 AEST 2015

Hello,

I am a pre-service IT teacher and long-time lurker. I am working on an
assessment investigating issues and debates around the implementation of
the (proposed) Digital Technologies curriculum and the implications for
schools and teachers. In the Donnely and Whiltsire review, they propose
that IT remain a general capability and the standalone subject be scrapped
or made optional. One of the arguments is there are not enough suitably
qualified teachers and that it can be taught across the disciplines. They
obviously miss the point that ITC != computational thinking.

I am curious to hear what practicing IT teachers think about this
assertion. I went to a school tour on Friday and was surprised to learn
they didn't offer IT as a subject at all, not even in VCE. No electives in
Year 9. Nothing. I had a look at the overall statistics for VCE IT apps and
VCE Software Development and saw enrolments are significantly down from
their 2000–2001 peak. During the online PD for the new VCE subjects, Paula
Christophersen mentioned they have increased this year by 10%, but it still
seems quite low given the ubiquity of tech and the push for STEM subjects
in general.

I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to why they think the numbers
have dropped in they way they have. It can't only be explained by the
scaling down, can it?

TIA
Tracey