[Year 12 SofDev] Data Type Sizes

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Mon Jun 3 18:50:21 EST 2013

Hi Damien and Robert,

I do have to correct my post below. The data bus determines the size of the
data retrieved from memory.

For example, when 16 bits of data are retrieved as the word size of that
machine it is a 16 bit data bus. The address bus determines the number of
memory locations that can be accessed, not the contents of each access. So,
an address bus width of 32 bits means 232 different addresses that can be
accessed which equates to 4GB of memory. Memory beyond that is not useful as
it can't be accessed.

My post again with the corrections:

I think the answers have to do with the width of the data bus of the
architecture of the machine, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_bus
<https://exchange.ringwoodsc.vic.edu.au/owa/redir.aspx?C=1b8b4b8b57b54fa88a0
8a1f1843d954e&URL=http%3a%2f%2fen.wikipedia.org%2fwiki%2fAddress_bus>  . So
an 8 bit data bus uses a word size of 8 bits, 16 uses a 16 bit word etc.

The width of the address bus ( number of wires/bits ) determines the size of
the addressable location of a unit of memory,  see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_(data_type)
<https://exchange.ringwoodsc.vic.edu.au/owa/redir.aspx?C=1b8b4b8b57b54fa88a0
8a1f1843d954e&URL=http%3a%2f%2fen.wikipedia.org%2fwiki%2fWord_(data_type)>
. Therefore, while it may be possible to represent a character with 8 bits
depending on the encoding used ( ASCII, EBCDIC) , the overriding factor is
the CPU architecture that determines the accessible memory size, hence 8,
16, 32 and 64 bit word sizes would use different storage sizes for the same
amount of data as either a single word size or multiples of the basic word
size.

As the references quoted here indicate, while there are exceptions ( why
keep things simple ??? ) , the general outline is the underlying principle
of units of memory used for storage of data and different data types.

Kind Regards

Kevork Krozian

Edulists Creator Administrator

www.edulists.com.au