[Year 12 SofDev] Data Type Sizes

ATKINSON-BUCK, Damien Damien.ATKINSON-BUCK at ivanhoe.com.au
Mon Jun 3 12:50:23 EST 2013

Thanks Robert & Kevork,
Very much appreciated!

Damien Atkinson-Buck
Head of Learning Area: Technology/Arts

[cid:image003.png at 01CE604F.1B0972D0]

p: +61 3 9490 3848

e: damien.atkinson-buck at ivanhoe.com.au<mailto:damien.atkinson-buck at ivanhoe.com.au>

f: +61 3 9490 3490

w: www.ivanhoe.com.au<http://www.ivanhoe.com.au/>

From: Kevork Krozian [mailto:kevork at edulists.com.au]
Sent: Friday, 31 May 2013 10:49 PM
To: 'Year 12 Software Development Teachers' Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [Year 12 SofDev] Data Type Sizes

Hi Folks,

Interesting discussion Damien and Robert.
I think the answers have to do with the width of the address bus of the architecture of the machine, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_bus .
The width of the address bus ( number of wires/bits ) determines the size of the addressable unit of memory, retrieved or stored, known as the word size, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_(data_type) . So an 8 bit address bus uses a word size of 8 bits, 16 uses a 16 bit word etc.
Therefore, while it may be possible to represent a character with 8 bits depending on the encoding used ( ASCII, EBCDIC) , the overriding factor is the CPU architecture that determines the addressable memory size, hence 8, 16, 32 and 64 bit word sizes would use different storage sizes for the same amount of data as either a single word size or multiples of the basic word size.
As the references quoted here indicate, while there are exceptions ( why keep things simple ??? ) , the general outline is the underlying principle of units of memory used for storage of data and different data types.

As for the Study Design purpose I don't think the physical size of memory in the implementation is what is described, rather the number of characters used for each data item. Eg. postcode is 4 characters,  name is 15 characters, state is 3 characters , age is an integer etc.

Happy to hear any other views.

Kevork Krozian
Edulists Creator Administrator
www.edulists.com.au<http://www.edulists.com.au>