[Year 12 SofDev] A discussion question : how deep should we teach technical details?

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Aug 17 10:09:27 EST 2012

Hi all. One question that has come to mind recently while going through
VCAA, CSE, VITTA and other SD exams is how deeply we should be covering key
knowledge like...

- SD U3O1 KK03 - a brief overview of the concept of the OSI model for
network protocols
- SD U4O2 KK01- technical underpinnings of intranets, the Internet and
virtual private networks
- SD U4O2 KK02- characteristics of wired and wireless networks

My kids have had no more exposure to the OSI than along the lines of,
"These are the OSI stages, and these a few of the main things that happen
in each stage. Data to be transmitted passes through these stages like a
car being methodically stripped down to its parts, shipped overseas, and
then reassembled again. This is what the physical layer does." I don't
expect them to memorise the protocols that operate at each level.

For wired/wireless communication, I don't go much beyond covering the
relative strengths, weaknesses and capabilities of CAT, FOC, WiFi
("Code-named 802.11 with 4 different flavours"), microwave, and infrared.
I don't drill down into fine technical detail.  Do you do more on OSI and
networking technology than this?  I'd be keen to hear.

Some questions I have seen make me wonder: I feel that they are too deep
and specific for the specified key knowledge, especially when only a "brief
overview" is asked for, and the only named OSI level is the physical level.
I don't want to criticise authors, but I have seen questions like...

- At what level of the OSI does HTTP operate?
- Why would Telnet not be a good idea for secure remote access?
- Which of the 802.11 protocols are compatible with each other?
- What's the difference between bridges, routers, switches etc with
reference to the OSI model

I would find it hard to justify the time needed for such exhaustive
coverage of these topics, and since the VCAA exams have not examined
students in such technical detail, I doubt it's really useful.

How far do you go covering the technicalities of the technologies?

kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au << use this, not Edumail please!

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and
write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn - Alvin Toffler.