[Year 12 SofDev] Devil's advocate == me?

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Jul 29 14:23:23 EST 2011

Hi Andrew

I have just finished a draft of an SRS for the Mexican Cantina example. I
have renamed it EL SOMBRERO 'cos I found a nice logo.

I've been flipping and flopping over whether to include the transmission
software as an external entity or not. I tried it with and without, and
while the "with" version is (to my way of thinking) incorrect, it gives a
better idea of how the software programs actually interact.  I could make
neither version really acceptable.  Feel free to disagree.

My UCD is also pretty basic (no includes or extends) but I didn't want to
make things unnecessarily difficult.

I did, however, add a degree of difficulty to bolster the programming skills
and make task 2 more chewy: I said that credit card information would be
stored in the text file.
This let me introduce basic (weak) encryption to the kids, using ROT13.
They are at this moment trying to work out the ROT13 algorithm and produce a
ROT13 encoder/decoder program.
It was also a sneaky way to introduce the ASCII character set, the CHR and
ASC functions, and MID( ) to extract each letter of a string in a loop.  I
love it when a plan comes together.

In task 2 I'll use the weakness of the ROT13 encryption method as an
ethical/legal issue.

I have not yet worked out a criteria sheet - that will come when the SRS is
bedded down.

Also, taking advantage of the mobile device's screen resolution constraint
(I'm forcing them to use 480x320 pixels), I told them to investigate the
usefulness of VB tabbed controls and horiz/vertical scrollbars.

As for the weighting of coding, I also consider it the main contributor to
u3o2 and u4o1. The subject's called 'software development' after all! (I'm
still a little disappointed that only half the outcomes actually involve
coding, but that's an issue for another time.)

As always, feedback is welcomed.

Cheers
Mark