[Year 12 SofDev] 2 digit numbers

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Jun 4 12:21:41 EST 2010

I'd probably argue the point too if I were them  ;-)

When 01, 02, 99 etc are *stored* the number of decimal digits is irrelevant
since they're stored as binary.

The number of digits *shown* in output depends on formatting, e.g. zero
padding, hexadecimal notation etc.

If they were stored as *text*, then storage space would correspond with the
number of ASCII digits.

02 cents' worth

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:04 AM, PIKE Philip <PIKEP at bmg.vic.edu.au> wrote:

>  Hi all, I would appreciate some feedback.
> On my last SAC I asked students to use a 2 digit code for stock numbers. We
> use VB.Net and some student used 01,02 etc. I was looking for 10-99 inc.
> some of my top students used 01, etc and will no doubt want to argue the
> point with me.
> 01,02 are fine as text strings, but do they qualify as 2 digits when stored
> as integers?
> What do you think?
> Thanks
>

> Philip Pike
> Director of ICT
> Bacchus Marsh Grammar
> Sth Maddingley Rd
> Bacchus Marsh 3340
> Ph 53664800 Ext 849
> Fax 53664850
> email: pikep at bmg.vic.edu.au

> and
> http://www.vitta.org.au/vce/studies/infotech/softwaredevel3-4.html

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

Korma: the philosophy that what you get out of a curry depends on what you
put into it.