[Year 12 SofDev] IARTV sample exam MC#1

Gordon Poultney gordonp at horsham-college.vic.edu.au
Thu Oct 25 16:59:13 EST 2007

A quick question of you:

They are detected during compilation rather than occur - semantics...

maybe, like past iartv exams, it has some interestingly worded questions.
'Program syntax errors are detected' is a better start?

They don't occur during a desk check because the computer is irrelevant to
a desk check?

They DO occur when a a program is running (line by line interpreter a la
VB ). But they probably intended 'runtime' error here

cheers        gordon

The IARTV sample exam provided the following multiple choice that seems to
have caught me out.

1. Program syntax errors occur:

A when the program is running

B during a desk check of the algorithm

C during the evaluation of the program

D during compilation

I said D because I think the only way to really ensure that all syntax is
correct is through compilation. They provide the answer B but I thought
that the desk check is more about checking logic errors. What do you
think?

--
Gordon Poultney