[Year 12 SofDev] More fun

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Mar 14 08:26:36 EST 2007

Young whippersnapper.  In MY day it were a LOOXERY CHRISTMAS TREAT to
'ave a whole nybble an' we only got to play with bits on Sunday.

An' we ' ad to make our own compooters outa corn flakes and barbed wire...

Kevork Krozian wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Why stop there ? Investigate how arithmetic happens at the bit level as
> far as hardware required.
> Build a half adder and a full adder building to a 4 bit adder and study
> the processing behind it .... rewind to the IT Systems course circa 1990.
>
> Kevork Krozian
> Mailing List Creator and Administrator
> kevork at edulists.com.au
> www.edulists.com.au
> Tel: 0419 356 034
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Kelly" <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au>
> <sofdev at edulists.com.au>
> Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 5:08 PM
> Subject: Re: [Year 12 SofDev] More fun
>

>> Thanks.  It's fun converting decimal to/from binary or hex.  Can be an
>> interesting path to bitwise operations.
>>
>> Dr Paul Chandler wrote:
>>> ... To which we could add a few more:
>>>
>>> - conversion of a number in one base to any other (using the 'division
>>> method')
>>> - digit-by-digit addition
>>> - digit-by-digit subtraction using decomposition method -
>>> digit-by-digit subtraction using equal additions method
>>> - demonstration of long division
>>> - derivation of square roots (manual method, similar to long division)

School Fax +613 95789253

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.