[Reporting] Personal Learning Goals

tim at brightonsc.vic.edu.au tim at brightonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Mar 15 11:43:54 EST 2007

Hello Ian

This semester we are treating this more as a learning experience for staff than students!

We used two consecutive staff meetings to provide some PD for staff - 10 minutes on our planned report format, with focus on goal section of report; then 15 min on helping students set goals.

We then asked all teachers to spend five minutes with their classes asking students to think of a goal for that subject. Then we ran an assembly day timetable which in effect gave us a seventh period. We used this to run an extended form assembly during which time students were asked to complete a proforma we had obtained from somewhere on goal setting. We aimed for about three goals from each student. (This time was also used for MIPS goal setting in the senior school)

My task is now to schedule 7-10 students into the computer rooms before the end of term. Students will enter their own goals (into an Access db) and I will import these as assessment results into MarkBook. I intend to print them out as reports for the students - proof reading but also hopefully instill in them some notion that this is 'official' and therefore to be taken seriously.

We are not sure at this stage how we will proceed in Term 2, but students will again be entering their own new goals and comments.

We are also keen to hook this whole business into the 'Personal Learning' domain that we're supposed to report on - any thoughts??

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton Secondary College

"Clare, Ian J" <Clare.Ian.J at edumail.vic.gov.au> on Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:21:24 +1100 wrote:
> I would be interested in hearing how you are handling personal learning
> goals especially with Markbook. At Casterton we have given the student
> 12 areas to work on (they are to select 3 areas) and each area they are
> to select up to three tasks to work on. These are entered into a
> spreadsheet and the students respond to them at the end of the semester
> by ticking one of four option on how well they went. We want to move it
> to a database. We went this way to structure the student's options and
> eliminate spelling and grammar mistakes.
>

> How is everybody else doing it??
>

> Ian Clare
>
> Information Technology Teacher
>
> Casterton Secondary College
>
> Ph   03 5581 1588 Fax 03 5581 1518
>
> clare.ian.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
> <BLOCKED::mailto:clare.ian.j at edumail.vic.gov.au>
>

> Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education.

---
Regards
Mr.Timmer-Arends
Brighton SC