[Psychology] year 10 psychology

Petra Robertson probertson at elthamcollege.vic.edu.au
Mon Dec 12 13:26:12 EST 2005

Hi Lisa
I too use Psychology in Action, although I do find it a little simplistic for the students. I do a basic introduction on what psych is and the various fields, as a worksheet rather than the text to find out what they know. The kids do a brochure on a tye of psychologist and the distinction between psychology and psychiatry. I do role plays for questionning techniques and verbal and non verbal communication. I also do an activity whereby each student writes 5 statements about themselves, one of which should be false. They do not name them. These sheets are then passed to other 5 other students to comment on and try to work out which is the false statement. The owners then get them back and we have a discussion about the exercise. The students also make and analyse an inkblot for personality and depending on the group I sometimes get them to make and evaluate a personailty test. For disoders the students work in groups and make a presenation to the rest of the class. I only have a term so we only do a small amount on forensics. I let them watch the bone collector as a bit of fun as well as looking at how the main character operates.I also used the article on stalking from the web site associated with the text and gave the kids some questions as part of that.
Hope this helps
Petra