[Psychology] year 10 psychology

Lisa Dooley dly at mwsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Dec 9 07:42:21 EST 2005

Hi,

Your best bet is to purchase the "Psychology in Action" text, (Macmillan,
Ricci and Letch).  It covers pretty much what you would be interested in
teaching and the activities in it are interesting and well-structured.  We
use half a class set at Mt Waverley and the kids always try to read ahead
because they like the book.  We also use the Grivas and Lawrie "Psychology
Experiments and Activities" - a great resource for teaching them how to do
ERA's, and there are plenty that do not tread on the toes of the Unit 1-4
courses.
My classes also do Rain Man to cover autism when doing concepts of normality
and abnormality, 7 UP for longitudinal studies and observation, Body Hits
and The Human Face for interest (they love them) and for building general
knowledge in the field.
They produce a brochure on what to expect when seeing a psychologist, a
poster on Schizophrenia or Depression (high incidence in the community and
we post them around the school for community awareness) and research an oral
presentation on a negotiated topic of their choice - anything goes - from
the psychology of colour, family constellations, stages of grief, clinical
disorders and pseudoscience; this is incredible to watch and they always
amaze me with what they work out and how they engage their peers.
We do cover the basic structure and functioning of the brain but mainly do
work on extending what they already know and do the '1 brain, 2 hemispheres,
3 parts, 4 lobes' and look at hemispheric dominance (great ERA in the book
for this and lots of interactive stuff on the Internet).
We do other bits and pieces but that is the basis of what we cover in the
elective (1 semester).

Cheers, Lisa Dooley