[Philosophy] and so it starts again...

Richard O'Donovan rodonovan at fhs.vic.edu.au
Wed Feb 22 22:06:18 EST 2006

Good on you John.  I've had a bit of an adventure getting Phil off the ground here too - the History faculty was quite opposed and voted it down the first year I put it up, fearful of the impact on their other subjects.  I'd be keen to hear a bit more about the Monash programme....

My MS unit is coming along alright.  I started with a Simpson's episode (Whacking Day) to raise the issue of treatment of animals which get between us and resources we need followed up by Independence Day to explore if what the aliens did there is similar to what the Springfielders (and the rest of us) do with animals.  This has led us on to explore treatment of humans by watching Freaks and we're working our way through Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  I'm trying to keep it moving fairly quickly at this stage to keep their interest and gently coax them into thinking philosophically.  It's a big group (26) which makes things a little tricky at times.

Any suggestions, ideas, feedback greatly appreciated!!

Richard