[Opensource] Cloud computing

Paul Chandler paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Wed Mar 2 15:58:44 EST 2011

Oliver - did you do a comparison of gopc vs googledocs?  I'm just interested
in what gopc might provide that googledocs doesn't.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Oliver Murray <omurray at gegs.wa.edu.au>wrote:

>  Hi
>
> I recently researched Cloud Computing using feedback from a number of
> mailing lists.
>

> My searching led me to http://www.gopc.net/
>

> In my opinion this seems to be the perfect solution for education. From
> almost any device any student or staff member can access their data and full
> suite of applications (all open source)... as long as an internet connection
> is available it allows any time anywhere learning.
>
> The long term cost savings in licensing, hardware upgrade and support staff
> should considerably outweigh the subscription costs.
>

> Unfortunately I am unable to generate the momentum and garner the support
> to take my school in this direction but feel this solution is ideal for
> education and hope that members of this list may find it useful
>

> Regards,
>

> Oliver Murray
>
> Head of ICT
>  Geraldton Grammar School
> 134 George Road
> Postal:PO Box 76
> Geraldton WA 6531
> Phone (08) 9965 7800 Fax (08) 9964 5598
> www.geraldtongrammarschool.com.au<http://exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.geraldtongrammarschool.com.au/>
> ABN: 2741 7866 116
>
> DISCLAIMER - This email is intended for the named recipient only. The
> information it contains may be confidential or commercially sensitive. If
> you are not the intended recipient you must not reproduce or distribute any
> part of this email, disclose its contents to any other party, or take any
> action in reliance on it. If you have received this email in error, please
> contact the sender immediately and delete the message from your computer.

> and

Dr Paul Chandler
Research Fellow: Multimedia grammatical design and authoring pedagogy
(Kahootz) project,
School of Education, University of New England
(Project website: http://www.une.edu.au/kahootzresearch)

located at Australian Children's Television Foundation
145 Smith Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, 3065
e-mail: paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Ph: 0400 198 187
Fax: (03) 9419 0660
Skype: paul.d.chandler