[Opensource] how to set up a lab of linux boxen

victor rajewski askvictor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 12:06:04 EST 2008

> TANGENT (or possum stir as Stephen D might say): I am quite happy with the
> usage of the 'en' ending (see subject line) when used in a VAX environment
> (eg VAX herder, a cluster of VAXen etc) but I can't remember it being used
> in relation to PCs - maybe VAX boxen was sometimes used to describe a group
> of VAXen? So, what would be the correct ending for a group of computers
> running linux? Linux boxii? Ha! Google is my friend - the Finnish tranlation
> of 'linux boxes' is 'linux boxes'.

It's just one of those things that I've always used in relation to
linux machines...
Though I like the second definition from the urban dictionary:

1. 	boxen

An alternative pluralization of boxes. In 60-80s hacker lingo (when
hacker ment something very different, btw), it originated from
vax/vaxen (the, at the time, correct way to referr to two or more vax
computers). Because of this unusual pluralization, it because common
to use -en instead of -es or whatever else was correct for all words
ending in x or with an x sound, such as soxen or socksen for more then
one sock. Box was/is usually referring to a computer (pc, server,
workstation, whatever).
Our server farm runs on 25 boxen.

2. 	boxen

alternate pluralization of the singular noun "box," as opposed to the
correct "boxes," made famous by comedian brian reagan
teacher: Brian, what's the plural of
"ox?"
Brian: duh....i dunno
T: no Brian, it's "oxen." Now Brian, what's the plural of "box?"
B: uh...."boxen," I bought two "boxen" of doughnuts.