[Opensource] how to set up a lab of linux boxen

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Tue Jun 10 11:43:12 EST 2008

A few years ago we had a lab of dual booting PCs - WinXP and SuSE -
and we imaged them with 'DriveImage 2000' without trouble. In our
Novell environment host names are not much of an issue, but I go
around and change them by hand these days to keep the print charging
software happy. (keeps me busy in the term hols) I used a boot floppy
with MS 'Workgroups Extensions for DOS' or a Novell DOS client to
connect to a Windows share or a Novell network drive that had the DI
executable and image files. Each disk had to be tweaked to have a
unique 'machine name' (for the WFW version only) and have the
appropriate DOS or ODI network drivers. Because I can't always find
such drivers these days, we now use Novell Storemanager based on
WinPE for imaging - takes longer to load, but works on most machines.
I have only used it on Windows boxes, and it looks like you have to
pick the client OS when imaging or restoring. I've also used
DriveImageXML that comes with BartPE, but that is clumsy compared to Stormgr.

Sorry that seems a bit of a ramble.

TANGENT (or possum stir as Stephen D might say): I am quite happy
with the usage of the 'en' ending (see subject line) when used in a
VAX environment (eg VAX herder, a cluster of VAXen etc) but I can't
remember it being used in relation to PCs - maybe VAX boxen was
sometimes used to describe a group of VAXen? So, what would be the
correct ending for a group of computers running linux? Linux boxii?
Ha! Google is my friend - the Finnish tranlation of 'linux boxes' is
'linux boxes'.

rgds
Jim

At 03:54 PM 09/06/2008, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm toying with the idea of setting up a lab full of linux boxes. It
>would be really nice to be able to use something like Ghost Solution
>Suite to handle imaging each machine. Has anyone done anything like
>this? ...... Is anyone running a lab full of linux
>machines?
>
>vik
>Teachers Association Inc

We have to use this Disclaimer

This message, including any attachments, is provided without
responsibility in law for its accuracy or otherwise and without
assumption of a duty of care by the School. Whilst every attempt has
been made to ensure material in this email message is free from
computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided,
and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all
responsibility for use of the material transmitted. This email is
intended for the use of the named individual or entity and may
contain confidential and privileged information. Any dissemination,
distribution or copying by anyone other than the intended recipient
of this email is strictly prohibited. If this email has been
received in error, then please notify Ruyton Girls' School
immediately and destroy the original message.

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Laptop and PC Support Technician
Ruyton Girls School