[Offtopic] mobile roaming and travel sims

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Fri Jan 21 16:48:56 EST 2011

Just remembered - another trick is to put Skype on your smartphone, pay
the small amount so you can call ordinary phones via Skype, then use the
phone/Skype when you find a wifi hotspot.

rgds
Jim (who found that out after he got back home)

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
retired, ex Laptop Technician
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia
ph 9290 9374
>>> "Jim Maunder"  01/21/11 4:33 PM >>>
For my post retirement trip to USA last year I organised global roaming
for my smart-ish phone (Nokia N97mini on Telstra) and took a netbook. I
only used SMS while away (to contact others we were travelling with and
keep rellies at home in the loop) and turned off phone network access
most of the time. Incoming calls would have cost $5 flagfall, but I was
able to avoid them. The few 'missed phonecall' messages did not seem to
cost anything.

Most hotels had wifi (some free, some not) so the netbook was used to
make a few last minute bookings and read email etc.

The phone charge for the month was $15 for SMSs @75c a message.

A good place to research travel things including travel technology is
the LonelyPlanet forum - aka the Thorntree
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa

rgds
Jim

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
retired, ex Laptop Technician
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia
ph 9290 9374
>>> Roland Gesthuizen  01/15/11 8:25 PM >>>
Thanks Clarky and Kevork, you are both right .. I might leave wireless
the iPad and laptop for when we need it and put the smart phone off the
radar. Am now considering looking into buying cheap prepaid sims and or
phones for both USA and Europe using this whilst we are there. From
memory
we can pick these up for about $30.

I am curious about mobile access point plans for cheap internet across
the
states and later across Europe. My thought was along the lines of the
USB
powered, prepaid mobile broadband dongles (one to two month contracts).
was able to get some good hotel deals by surfing online whilst on the
road
and doing my homework, pain was driving about until I could find a free
wireless access point. I wonder if there is a USA equivalent or the like
for
the following dongles.

http://www.broadbandexpert.com.au/mobile-broadband/prepaid-mobile-broadband/

Done this before?

Regards Roland

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Kevork Krozian wrote:

> Hi Roland,
>

> Yes be careful of roaming . Charging for roaming has become obscene.
>
> In Sep 2009 I travelled to the Middle East and decided to use Telstra
> roaming.
>
> In Palestine I was charged USD60 for a 30 sec call with one carrier
whereas
> an alternative carrier charged less than USD2.
>
> When I got back I had about 1 hour of calls in both directions in
total and
> got a bill for $1200. I refused to pay.
>
> My defence was that I had enquired what it would cost to roam before I
left
> and did not get a specific answer apart from * not much and it depends
where
> you go.
>
> When I mentioned the 5 countries I would travel through I was told it
> depends on the carriers. When I asked which carriers are the best to
use I
> was told they wouldn’t vary much.
>
> We settled for $200 .
>

> Take Care and beware