[Offtopic] Oracle to purchase Sun

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 23:48:43 EST 2009

In this news report, software giant Oracle will purchase Sun Microsystems
for $US 7.4 billion. Some interesting synergy here with both huge supporters
of open source software and Oracle similarly committed to Linux and other
open platforms. All up, it is good news for Java, Solaris and even
OpenOffice.
     http://tr.im/jebX

Last year I was very fortunate to visit Oracle HQ as part of the ACCE2008
study tour of San Francisco and was pleasantly surprised by how seriously
they take their philanthropic mission to serve students. (thank you to VITTA
and my school for cosponsoring my visit).

Good luck to the 2009 team that is probably now assembling their thoughts
and making lists of things to do. I am going to be quite envious of your
travels :-)

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au