[offtopic] Using School Supplied laptos at home

Meadows, Roslyn M Meadows.Roslyn.M at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue May 27 13:52:10 EST 2008

DEECD provide (almost) all govt school teachers with a notebook
(although we have a small "payment" deducted from our salary each
fortnight - mine is $8).
There have never been any restrictions on the use of these notebooks at
home or anywhere else. I can use mine at conferences, in cafes and at
home to connect wirelessly to the internet. We also have total control
over what we install, and usually the first thing I do is reformat mine
to get rid of all the DEECD junk installed on it, and set it up the way
I want it.

I think education (of the teachers) here is an issue, perhaps if they
knew that their browsing history could be viewed by others who use their
computer maybe they would be more careful. Obviously there are still
people who don't realize that everything that is done in a browser stays
there until it is deleted. A brief demonstration at a staff meeting of
what can be revealed about staff surfing habits in the history of IE or
firefox would scare most into doing the right thing! Of course you would
have to set up a computer so that the results were "shocking" (but not
too "adult" for a staff meeting!)

Maybe some simple software which deletes browsing history, cookies,
searches etc such as Advanced Windows Care or CC Cleaner should be
installed? Staff should be shown how to use it, and told to use it after
each browsing session outside of the school. Even showing them how to
use the IE or Firefox "delete browsing history" or "clear private data"
would help.

Personally I don't see why staff cannot install software - surely staff
should be able to trial some of the amazing open source software or
other free software which is available which may help their teaching and
learning (eg FreeMind, OpenProj, Scratch etc)

Hope this helps
Cheers
Ros

Roslyn Meadows