[Offtopic] fwd: Joomla

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sat May 26 16:30:50 EST 2007

At 07:14 AM 26/05/2007, Rob Ruberry wrote:

Schools in Queensland now have the option of using Joomla (an Open Source
Content Management System) for their website solution.

We are extremely lucky in that we can request an installation and it is
all setup, installed, backed up and maintained centrally.  The only thing
we have to do is learn how to use it and inservice our teaching staff to
support their use with in the school.

Joomla provides schools with the following features:

• Multiple users can add news and content items (set content expiry date)

• Security settings (Public, Registered, Special)

• Gallery management Component (upload, download, modification – images /
video / documents)

• Calendar Component (add, edit, delete)

• Site templates (individual users can customize the look of the site)

• Polls (users can vote on various topics)

• Customised module positions.

The Education Queensland Installation has been customised to be managed
centrally and this suits the majority of schools.

You’ll find information and a list of school examples at our Joomla
Support site - http://ictlic.eq.edu.au/wcmss/ .

I have been running our school site at Banksia Beach for the past 2 years
and have been extremely happy with its ease of use and the ability to
delegate tasks to staff and admin members http://bankbeacss.eq.edu.au and
the feedback from parents and community members.  Best of all content has
an expiry date so I don’t have to worry about removing old content all
the time.

You’ll find details on Joomla in general at the main Joomla site –
http://www.joomla.org There are a large number of add on components and
modules written by third party programmers interested in supporting Open
Source Software.

 There are range of Content Management Systems out there, many of which
are Open Source (Free for use and free for code development).

You don’t need to have any programming knowledge to use Joomla.  You will
however find you’ll need to spend some time initially to gain an
understanding of how it operates.

 There are a number of security levels associated with Joomla.  You can
have students add content or upload work to the site but I generally
wouldn’t recommend this for security reasons.

Anyway all the best with your site,

Rob Ruberry

Thinking Digitally Project Officer

ICT Learning Innovation Centre (Tues - Fri)
PO Box 7102
SIPPY DOWNS QLD 4556
Mobile: 0418 770 648
Phone: 07 5459 4590