[Offtopic] GIMP

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Mar 8 10:20:35 EST 2007

We have Gimp installed on every Computer in the school including the
macs in the art lab.
We have Photoshop only on the macs for senior students (although juniors
aren't stopped form using it if they are in the lab) this is to appease
teachers who can't cope with yet *another* piece of software.
My argument is:
What is going to do more to develop a students skills in this area?
Access to the "industry standard" -don't get me started on this chesnut
-  I did some emailing of various institutions last year to ask them if
our students would be disadvantaged by using Gimp. The overwhelming
response was that they would most likely be advantaged if they had had
access to a variety of software packages. Hence the Gimp and Photoshop
in conjunction. Anyway back to the topic, what is more beneficial,
access to Photoshop only when they have a class, or when they can use
the software at home or anytime around the school when they have a
either a spare or can't get into the art lab. OSS means more access
without $, more access means more time to better their core art skills
rather than learning the current "industry standard".
If anyone can tell me where I can get the version of Photoshop that my
students will be using in 4 - 7 years time so they can learn the
"industry standard" now, I will be most grateful.
Cameron