[Offtopic] MS Office $75 for uni students

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Mar 6 10:03:02 EST 2007

It's a bit like Bait marketing. You get people using the product, you
rely on them never wanting to try another Office Suite because "I only
know Office" and then you charge them full price when they leave Uni.
Same thing in schools. Lets give schools Windows at a reduced price via
a Govt or Bulk Licensing Agreement, so at home they want what they are
using at school. You hook them early in the hope of them becoming
dependent on your product and being able to charge them full price later.
Dealers used to give people cheap/free shots of heroin in the hope of
hooking them and making more off them when they were addicted.
(Lets NOT jump up and down and say I'm calling a software company a drug
dealer - It's purely and example of baiting in the hope of getting
further sales.)