[Offtopic] e-learning systems

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun Feb 11 01:34:48 EST 2007

Hi Vic, Ros, Roland and all,

A great thread, thanks :-) btw here's a fine e-learning systems
comparison site, with many parameters to choose from. Here's
what they say about 10 systems and 'search' (because it's short
and I can post the results here as an example). Now I understand
that Moodle (free), MyInternet (not free Aussie), and Blackboard
(not free U.S.) are the tops locally in their respective categories,
but I also think that the Vic Ed Dpt (or VITTA etc) might well run
and publish comparisons for us also, especially of free ones :-)

<http://www.edutools.info/item_list.jsp?pj=4>
<http://www.edutools.info/item_list.jsp?pj=8>

>>  Searching Within Course

ATutor 1.5.3.2
Students can search all course content.

ANGEL Learning Management Suite, V7.1
Students can search all course content.
Students can search all discussion threads.

Moodle 1.6.1
Students can search all discussion threads.

The Blackboard Academic Suite
Students can search all course content.
Students can search all discussion threads.
Students can search all course content and chat or virtual classroom
session recordings by name or dates.

Sakai 2.3
Students can search all course content.
Students can search all discussion threads.
Students can search chat or virtual classroom session recordings.
Searching capability is also available in:
Search Tool - A powerful tool that allows a Google like search all
content in a Sakai instance. Anything that is a Sakai entity can be
indexed and searched. This includes all Content placed in
ContentHostingService which includes content in Resources, Attachments,
OSP, Wiki, and all messages in Chat, Email, Announcements, UM Discussion
tool. The search tool reads all Office types, PDF's, and extracts the
first 2M of text from types that appear to be text based. (Developed by
University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, for Sakai).

eCollege
NIL

KEWL
Students can search all course content.
Students can search all discussion threads.
KEWL 3.0 (due February 2007) will have full text search across
everything, including uploaded documents and media.

OLAT
Students can search all course content.
Students can search all discussion threads.

dotLRN/OpenACS
Students can search all course content.
Students can search all discussion threads.

Scholar360
NIL