[Offtopic] Points to consider including in VIT Review Response

Stephen Digby digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Aug 27 12:39:31 EST 2007

Professionals generally negotiate the terms of their contract with clients (even the "oldest profession" !).
Modern employment practice (e.g. AWA) is working towards the mandating of all employment conditions by the employer with only the
very scarce or very highly valued labour able to undertake any real negotiation.
Teachers have little chance of becoming a profession in this real sense.

We will remain skilled workers - a valued trade.

The tag "professional" is usually used when management wants a worker to fulfil roles beyond the paid agreement - "it's so
professional to stay until the work is done regardless of pay".

Teacher covet the tag because we are middle class aspirants who want to maintain some social distinction from tradespeople.

What we need is the government to regulate the teaching trade so that the skill level of workers is maintained and workers are
properly trained before starting work on our children.

I just think that they should pay for it.

I also think that teachers can choose to belong any number of organisations reflecting the diversity of their views and if the
government likes one of them (because it promotes the values that the government likes) then it might assist with its funding.

Just don't like the current setup of mandated membership of expensive and ineffective "quango".

Stephen Digby, Learning Technology Manager
mailto: admin at cheltsec.vic.edu.au
Cheltenham Secondary College www.cheltsec.vic.edu.au
Ph: 613 955 55 955  Fx: 9555 8617 Mb: 0431-701-028
There are two kinds of failures: The man who will do nothing he is told, and the man who will do nothing else. Perle Thompson