[Offtopic] Points to consider including in VIT Review Response

techo techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Mon Aug 27 12:24:38 EST 2007

At 10:08 AM 27/08/2007, you wrote:
> > Hello Stephen -
> >
> > Just for the info for the the few of us
> > non-teachers here - is there a professional
> > association for teachers along the lines on the
> > Institution of Engineers Australia, the Royal
> > Australian Institue of Architects, the AMA etc?...
>
>It is interesting that the bodies you mention fulfill the role of what
>the union does for teachers, but as Engineers, Doctors, etc are
>'professionals', there is a slightly different focus in their
>associations/institutes.

Maybe there lies the problem - teachers should think of themselves as
'professionals' too. While the IEAust performed some of the functions
of a union, they were run by working engineers rather than career
union officials, and had the broad interests of the members and the
profession as their focus rather than political or IR matters. I
belonged to unions (such as APEA, MOA, ASU at different times) that
handled the industrial matters of the day. Both have a role to play.

As a matter of strategy, a professional association probably has more
clout and better image than a militant union, and could achieve
better outcomes for teachers in general by lifting the status and
public perception of teachers.

rgds
comrade Jim

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia