[Offtopic] Re: Research: Digital Technology In- and Out-of-School

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun Aug 12 22:59:59 EST 2007

Hi all,

People may be interested in helping Anne-Maree's research?

 At 11:38 AM 12/08/2007, Anne-Marie Chase wrote:

 I am currently studying at the University of Western Australia and
looking for schools to participate in my research. I have included some
blurb below about the research and wondered if you might be interested?

The title of the study is “Digital Technology In- and Out-of-School:  A
Comparative Study of the Nature and Levels of Student Use and Engagement”

A major consequence of the advent of the technological age is that young
people today live in a ‘techno culture’. Students’ experiences with
technology outside of school are likely to be at least as important for
predicting student outcomes as their experiences in school.  As a result,
any questions of relationships between technology use and student outcomes
must take account of uses in both settings.

The overarching aims of this research are to describe and compare the
nature and complexity of students’ digital technology experiences in- and
out-of-school within Australia, and to explore whether these experiences
act as significant predictors of students school engagement.

It is hoped that the outcomes of the research will help educators to
better align students’ in- and out-of-school experiences, and thus to
capitalise on students’ motivation and interest in using digital
technologies.

The research involves gathering data via surveys, from students in years
7 -12 (approx 25 students from any year level). There are four different
surveys: School, Student, Parent & Teacher.  The questions include general
background information about the students and their parents and how they
use technology.  There are questions for the student about how engaged
they are at school and what they think of technology and then the teacher
survey asks similar questions about the students levels of engagement.

In the trials I have carried out the students have found it interesting
just considering what they can and can’t do with technology and how the
use of technology for their own use has impacted on their lives.

It’s a thought provoking survey and if you are interested in participating
I will be more than happy to provide feedback.

I have received University Ethics clearance and approval for my
application to the Department of Education and Training to conduct
research in Victorian Government Schools.  The school principals are
required to give permission for the research to be conducted in the
school, and consent forms will need to be signed by students, parents and
teachers

I realise participating in research like this can be yet another time
demand when as a teacher you already have so much to do, however you will
all be aware of the extensive technology skill range students develop
informally, research that can enable us to build on this is valuable to
both students and their teachers.

If you are interested in participating or would like further details
please let me know.

Kind Regards

Anne-Marie Chase
chasea01 at student.uwa.edu.au