[Offtopic] (no subject) HDD data recovery

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Fri Apr 27 21:31:10 EST 2007

At 08:51 AM 23/04/2007, you wrote:
>On 4/23/07, Cameron Bell <bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:
>>Funny you should say that. I have an English teacher that had a bad HDD
>>replaced by Lenovo. Was able to keep old one to try to recover his data.

Here is what I currently use for data recovery (I look after 500 laptops)

A USB caddy for 3.5" HDDs (for when the HDD gets returned for data recovery)
An external USB HDD to hold images, recovered and/or saved student
files etc etc

BartPE (XP on a CD)- containing:

DriveImageXML:
This does a reasonable job of creating and restoring images of disks
and partitions.
GetDataBack:
This is almost miraculous (worth every bit of the $US79 licence fee)
- for example I dealt with a laptop that was imaged for a student A,
then a year later it was re-imaged for another student B. Another
year later the lappy was stolen, but recovered a few days later. The
light fingered person had re-partitioned, re-formatted and installed
XP. However, I was able to see and recover some of student A's files.
It probably helped that I use a separate data partition, the area of
which was not overwritten by the light fingered re-formatter even
though the partition was removed and formatted over in the process.
(Make sense? Should I get an English teacher to de-convolute it?)

I have not tried it with severely damaged HDDs, but it seems ok with
moderate bad sectors. I am trying with a really bad one right now,
but I think it has firmware issues, and I don't have much hope for it.

rgds
Jim

We have to use this Disclaimer

This message, including any attachments, is provided without
responsibility in law for its accuracy or otherwise and without
assumption of a duty of care by the School. Whilst every attempt has
been made to ensure material in this email message is free from
computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided,
and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all
responsibility for use of the material transmitted. This email is
intended for the use of the named individual or entity and may
contain confidential and privileged information. Any dissemination,
distribution or copying by anyone other than the intended recipient
of this email is strictly prohibited. If this email has been
received in error, then please notify Ruyton Girls' School
immediately and destroy the original message.

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia