[Offtopic] WYNN - Screen Reading Software

Rupert Russell r.russell at ballarat.edu.au
Wed Jun 14 18:11:12 EST 2006

Hi All,

I am currently involved in a trial of WYNN  (What you Need Now)
Software at Ballarat University
I am really impressed with version 4 of this software.

It is basically a screen reader complete with AT&T Natural Voices.
WYNN  installs a virtual printer on the PC.  Any Windows document can be
printed to WYNN using the "Freedom Import Printer" WYNN then runs an OCR
engine over the imported document and with the read the text using a
number of different voices.

It also has a basic word processor capability and will read text to you
as you type it.

All the students that I have shown it to so far love it.

I also love the way that it can browse web pages.

Anyway I have some links and information online at:
http://velorum.ballarat.edu.au/~rrussell/WYNN/index.php

And there is a contest to win a copy see below:

WYNN 5.0 has been released!!!

  WYNN 5.0 contains a completely redesigned Web module, with exciting
new
capabilities, including Highlighting on Web Pages, Extracting
Highlighted
Text from Web pages directly to a WYNN document, more WebMasking and
spotlighting options, built-in pop-up blocker, one-click conversion of
PDF
Web pages to WYNN, easier file navigation with our new NavBar, support
for
more synthesizers, and much more.

win a WYNN 5.0 program!!!

Freedom Scientific and Quantum Technology have pledged to make life a
little easier for eight lucky students who are planning to make the
move
into tertiary study in 2007!!!

Quantum Technology is excited to announce the inaugural WYNN (What you

Need Now) Scholarship, which is intended to assist students who have
been
assessed as having a learning disability.

If you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen and have been assessed
as
having a learning disability and are planning on entering tertiary
studies
in 2007 you are eligible to apply.

To enter just tell us in 500 words or less how the WYNN program will
assist you with your studies. Applications must include a name for
reference of an educator or person involved in Learning Disability, and

demonstrate an understanding of how WYNN can help improve educational
outcomes.  The prize will be a copy of the WYNN software program.

Applications must be made in writing by email to
info at quantumtechnology.com.au or via mail to Quantum Technology PO Box

390, Rydalmere NSW 2116 Australia, and be received by Friday 11 August

2006.

The eight lucky winners will be announced at the "Doing it Better" -
Learning Disabilities in Education and Employment Forum" which will
be
held in Melbourne, September 24-27, 2006.

To assist with your application you may request a WYNN demo CD to
evaluate.  For further enquiries please call or e-mail Quantum
Technology
on 02) 8844 9888 or info at quantumtechnology.com.au.

Kind Regards
Bronwyn Davies
Project Coordinator
Quantum Technology Pty Ltd
5 South Street (PO Box 390)
Rydalmere NSW 2116
Phone: 61 2 8844 9888
Fax: 61 2 9684 4717
E-mail:
bdavies at quantumtechnology.com.au
www.quantumtechnology.com.au
If you prefer not to receive WYNN updates please send an e-mail to
bdavies at quantumtechnology.com.au.

Rupert Russell
Senior Educator (e-Learning)
TAFE Development Unit