[Offtopic] Re: Laptop/Lab Linux

Zach Alexakos alexakos.zach.z at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Mar 25 17:46:37 EST 2005

Zach Alexakos Geelong North Secondary College Information Technology DepartmentHi David,

I managed to install Red Hat 9 on my Laptop-IBM R40 a few years ago, used Partition Magic to partition the Hard Drive- was also running XP on a dual boot setup.  It worked ok but when I accidentally erased the master boot file to setup grub I ran into a few problems.

Main issue with the R40 is the HD is only 20GB.  Red Hat 9 takes up to at least 5 GB installation alone- doesn't leave much for a space hungry XP.  As a result I had to dump Red Hat due to space issues and compatibility.  You really need to be working in a Linux environment to survive as an individual Linux user-otherwise Office org and additional software is ineffective (from a curriculum viewpoint).

With a 40GB or 60GB HD this should not be as much of an issue unless video editing is required.  Main problem with Linux is video editing software- couldn't find any at the time although this may have since changed- if someone could inform me of this I would like to know.

Zach Alexakos
Nth Geelong SC

Important -