[Offtopic] School Shutdown

Roland Gesthuizen rge at westallsc.vic.edu.au
Mon Dec 19 13:48:25 EST 2005

DE&T schools now have a shutdown guide that lists different ways to to
save power over the term break. It is certainly worth having a quick
look at this process and its impact on computers, networks and other
devices as I have just been through it with our facilities coordinator.
http://www.sofweb.vic.edu.au/facility/pdfs/SchoolEnergyShutDownGuide.pdf

We do a weekly shutdown of all the file server room devices so at least
that much will be left alone. I negotiated turning off the lab hardware
at the room circuit breaker instead of messing about under the desks
trying to switch them off at the wall. Not sure of the wisdom of
shutting down network switch cabinets as I am not convinced that
everything will bounce back up once power is restored after each term break.

Am curious what others might think is, or isnt worth doing.

Roland Gesthuizen - ICT Manager - Westall Secondary College
http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au