[Moodle] time allowance

Allan Barnes abarnes at aiet.com.au
Thu Jun 18 09:31:00 EST 2009

Hi Anton

What you are asking is how long is a piece of string.

To set up Moodle is pretty easy - probably takes about a day at most. It
also depends on where Moodle will be hosted.

Once it is set up it then needs to be formatted to look like what you want
it to look like, which might take a couple of days.

Once that is done, it then needs to be populated with information. Who will
add the information to Moodle? You or the teacher? Adding the information is
not hard but it is time consuming. It uses PHP, but the information can be
cut and pasted from Word, so it depends on how much information you are
adding to it, and what sort of assessment you want to use it for, such as
true and false questions, or short answers, or just for students to upload
their projects, etc.

There is also the task of adding students to Moodle. This can be done in
bulk but it obviously has to be in the right format. Adding teachers as
administrators or just as guests, etc.

Once it is set up it might take 1/2 a day a week to look after, or it might
take 1 or 2 days a week, it just depends on how much you are doing and how
much other teachers with the courses on Moodle will be doing.

I have set up about 9 courses on Moodle. We have about 30 active users at
the moment. There were some teething problems but it seems to work well now.

There are also lots of add ons that you can add to assist, but obviously
these can be added over time.

I have found it to be good but our server is old and our Internet is slow so
I am about to upgrade to speed it up. I have found that movies run very
slowly and take about 90 seconds to actually load.

This is my experience, others will obviously find it different.

You can have a look at the site on www.aiet.edu.au if you want. I can also
add you as a student to one of the courses if you want to have a look
around.

Kind regards

Allan Barnes, CEO
Australian Institute of Education and Training
P.O. Box 171
Brunswick West 3055
Ph: (03) 9387 2051
FAX: (03) 9387 3470