[Moodle] Moodlle vs commercial products

Peter Ruwoldt ruwoldtp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 21:24:33 EST 2007

victor rajewski wrote:
>> We are using a commercial system called Masterfile at our school
>> which has
>> generally been a pain in the proverbial.  I've tried convincing the IT
>> manager to change to Moodle but his main gripe appears to be about
>> security.
>>  Have you had an issues with security on Moodle?  What have other
>> schools
>> experiences been with Moodle?  Is there a better commercial system
>> that is
>> actually affordable (ie. not Blackboard).  Any feedback on this would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>
> Heh - this such an old argument - put the onus on him to prove to you
> why a closed, proprietary system is more secure than an open-source
> system. You might want to use Linux vs Windows and Firefox vs IE as
> examples (search slashdot.org for specific security fix information he
> needs more examples).
>
> And no, I've never had any security issues with it. It works great.
>
> vik

I agree.  What absolute tripe.
We have been using Moodle for several years and I have nothing but
praise for the product, its on going development cycle and active and
supportive community.  Your IT Manager will find it impossible to find
something half as good for less than double the price ;-)
Peter

--
Free and Open education for all

Peter Ruwoldt
Grant High School
Hosking Avenue
MOUNT GAMBIER  SA  5290

P. 08 87263107 (Do not leave voice mail)
F. 08 87250173

ruwoldtp at granths.sa.edu.au
http://www.watiwara.com/