[Moodle] Moodle 1.5 - Instant Messaging

Roland GESTHUIZEN rge at westallsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Jun 2 10:47:53 EST 2005

I think that there are some powerful lessons that can be learned with the integration of an instant-messaging system based on authenticated users into a school network.

Whilst there is potential for distraction, I think that as has been pointed out before on other lists, the same is true for fiction books loaned out from the library and read under desks, notes slipped between students in a class and quiet discussions between friends working on neighbouring computers. There is a time and place for everything and it is up to the teacher to judge, steer and direct.

I agree that there is probably merit in being able to control this feature but give some thought to how it could be used, the rules for its use and consequences for its abuse.