[Year 12 IT Apps] Info exam A13 - underlining carelessness

Mark mark at vceit.com
Tue Nov 22 13:55:01 AEDT 2016

A worthy colleague has reminded me that the underlined fields may well be
acting as a multi-field primary key for the appointments table!

That is technically feasible. Grrr.

But why would *anyone* in their right mind create a multiple-field
key after all we've learned about 2NF problems?

It's just dumb database design!

I never even *consider* using multiple-field keys, any more than I would
consider checking for gas leaks by striking a match.

All right. I withdraw my complaint about the redundant underlining, and
replace it with a complaint about setting a bad example to impressionable
young database designers.

Any depiction of multiple-field keys in exams should be accompanied by
compulsory health warnings.

Regards,
Mark

mark at vceit.com