[Year 12 IT Apps] U4O2 - Car data security

Mark mark at vceit.com
Fri Sep 4 12:58:08 AEST 2015

​"​
Six weeks after hackers revealed vulnerabilities in a 2014 Jeep Cherokee
that they could use to take over its transmission and brakes, Chrysler has
pushed out its patch for that epic exploit. Now it’s getting another round
of criticism for what some are calling a sloppy method of distributing that
patch: On more than a million USB drives mailed to drivers via the US
Postal Service.

​"​
Security pros have long warned computer users not to plug in USB sticks
sent to them in the mail—just as they shouldn’t plug in thumb drives given
to them by strangers or found in their company’s parking lot—for fear that
they could be part of a mass malware mailing campaign. Now Chrysler is
asking consumers to do exactly that, potentially paving the way for a
future attacker to spoof the USB mailers and trick users into installing
malware on their cars or trucks.

“An auto manufacturer is basically conditioning customers into plugging
things into their vehicles,”
​...

​Read more
​
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/chrysler-gets-flak-patching-hack-via-mailed-usb/
​

--

​
When I pick up a handful of sand at the beach and let it dribble through my

Mark Kelly

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com