[Year 12 IT Apps] Autonomous vehicles were all fun and games... until now

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:41:19 AEST 2015

http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/business-it/forget-selfdriving-google-cars-australia-has-selfdriving-trucks-20141020-118o47.html

"Mining company Rio Tinto uses huge self-automated trucks on mines in the
Pilbara region of Western Australia that are programmed to drive themselves
and navigate mine roads and intersections using sensors, GPS, and radar
guidance systems. The trucks self-drive but are overseen by a controller in
Perth, 1800 kilometres away."

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:

> Now they have *18* wheels.
>
> "Daimler bigwig Wolfgang Bernhard and Nevada governor Brian Sandoval are
> sharing a stage, mugging for the phalanx of cameras, together holding the
> metal rectangle that will, in just a minute, be slapped onto the world’s
> first officially recognized self-driving truck.
>
> "The truck in question is the Freightliner Inspiration, a teched-up
> version of the Daimler 18-wheeler sold around the world. And according to
> Daimler, which owns Mercedes-Benz, it will make long-haul road
> transportation safer, cheaper, and better for the planet.
>
> “There’s a clear need for this generation of trucks, and we’re the
> pioneers who are willing to tackle it,” says Bernhard."
>
> *But read on - it's not quite as startling as it seems.*
>

> http://www.wired.com/2015/05/worlds-first-self-driving-semi-truck-hits-road/
>

> --
>
> A conclusion is the place where you got sick of thinking.
>
> Mark Kelly
> mark AT vceit DOT com
> http://vceit.com
>
> - Gainfully Unemployed
> - ITA Edulist Moderator

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

Dr Ken Price MACS CP ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au