[Year 12 IT Apps] Paper Wins!

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Fri May 2 14:43:11 EST 2014

Indeed - and paper has a better track record in terms of lasting hundreds
of years and still being readable. My 8", 5.25" , 3.5" and Zip disks are
still in safe storage but I doubt I could find a machine to read them now.
 Though some may argue that reading books that are a few centuries old is
not a simple process either.
.

Having said that, I found myself hand-gesturing over a print book the other
day to make the text bigger, and flicking to turn a page.

I'm not sure if Spritz http://www.spritzinc.com/# has been mentioned here
but that is VERY interesting as a way to read text. However as in the
article Mark provided, it lacks almost all the visual cues that a printed
page provides, and while you can read very fast you can also get very lost,
especially where the reading becomes non-linear . For example, when you
want to quickly check what an abbreviation stands for, you have to break
the process.  It does feel like it has some purpose in life however -maybe
some students can help identify what.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/reading-paper-screens/ has a bit
more info on the screen vs paper comparison

Ken
TASITE tasite.tas.edu.au

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:

> http://www.wired.com/2014/05/reading-on-screen-versus-paper/
>
> At last - an erudite and magnificent article that agrees with me.
>
> "Paper books were supposed to be dead by now. For years, information
> theorists, marketers, and early adopters have told us their demise was
> imminent. ... Yet in a world of screen ubiquity, many people still prefer
> to do their serious reading on paper."
>
> Even kids prefer paper text books, apparently! The paper medium removes
> online distractions and tangential links to focus on deep reading and
> focused learning.
>
> Good old paper.
>
> +1 for the good old Egyptians. Now, I begin my mission to restore the good
> old shaduf...

> mark AT vceit DOT com
> http://vceit.com
>
> *Everything that used to be a sin is now a disease - Bill Maher *

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

Dr Ken Price MACS CP ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au