[Year 12 IT Apps] MS Access - Calculated fields

Robert Timmer-Arends timmer at westnet.com.au
Thu Feb 13 17:31:38 EST 2014

Hello Damien

you may find this discussion useful

http://allenbrowne.com/casu-14.html
The update at the end covers Access 2010

Personally, the only situation I can see that might justify a value that is calculated once and then stored in a field (as Access 2010 seems to do), is where you need to squeeze every bit of performance out of the dbms that you can; for example, if you had a truck load of data that had to be pulled frequently, calculating a new value each time (either by query or on the fly like FileMaker) could slow retrieval down. But I can't see that happening on modern equip unless you have a lot of data, and/or maybe an overworked remote server?

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC