[Year 12 IT Apps] MS Access - Calculated fields

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Feb 13 14:52:04 EST 2014

Filemaker has always used the calculated field paradigm, so the concept
seems natural and logical to me.
It seems odd to have to create a query to calculate stuff.

I'm pretty sure the calculated answers are NOT stored in the database: they
are generated dynamically, like a spreadsheet.
Therefore they are neither duplicate data nor space-hogs.

(Note: In Filemaker you CAN use a formula to generate and store values for
'normal' fields like number/text/date. This is done as an auto-enter option
under Validation.)