[Year 12 IT Apps] Too soon? The ITI SAT hypothesis: data sets

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Dec 4 15:03:21 EST 2014

Here are some dataset sources you might want to play with in preparation
for the 2006 ITI SAT...

   - data.gov.au – includes data from many locations, groups and topics,
   including
      - a National Public Toilet Map.
      - overseas arrivals and departures
      - taxation statistics
      - Victorian ice skating centres
      - the Victorian Fishing Atlas
   - data.melbourne.vic.gov.au – the City of Melbourne shares its data, e.g.
      - parking bay sensor recordings
      - tree canopy data
      - pedestrian sensor counts
   - Australian Bureau of Statistics – abs.gov.au – tailored for students,
   with census data available in Excel format and tables.

The ABS tells us that in 1901 Australia there were 2,192 indigenous men
aged 85 and over. In 2001, there were 81,922. Such rich and reliable data
could yield a *really* interesting hypothesis or two.

   - Australian National Data Service (ands.org.au) - a set of web pages
   describing data collections produced by or relevant to Australian
   researchers.
   - data.csiro.au – very detailed, very technical, very big science data
   store.
   - govpond.org – searches over 3,400 Australian governments’ data sets
   for you
   - Atlas of Living Australia – ala.org.au – sharing biodiversity
   knowledge. Do you have a hypothesis about Brushtail possums, perhaps? This
   is the place for you.

Cheers.

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com

I, Mark Kelly, am entirely responsible for the rambling verbiage I spew
forth.
Have I offended anyone with this post?  I would not be surprised.
If offended, please whinge to me at the email address above.
Please leave poor Kevork alone.  It is not his fault.