[Year 12 IT Apps] 2016 SAT hypotheses for ITI

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Dec 4 14:02:44 EST 2014

Hi, avoiders of beautiful sunny days.

Looking at the 2016 ITI (IT:Informatics) course, and the hypotheses that
students may choose to research inevitably led me to improbable.com - home
of the Ig Nobel Prize.

There, students can judiciously find hypotheses of prize winners such as:

   - “People who habitually stay up late are, on average, more
   self-admiring, more manipulative, and more psychopathic than people who
   habitually arise early in the morning.”
   - “Is it mentally hazardous for a human being to own a cat?” and “Do cat
   bites cause human depression?”
   - “That when dogs defecate and urinate, they prefer to align their body
   axis with Earth's north-south geomagnetic field lines.”
   - “That when dung beetles get lost, they can navigate their way home by
   looking at the Milky Way.”
   - “That the longer a cow has been lying down, the more likely it is that
   the cow will soon stand up.”
   - “Does leaning to the left makes the Eiffel Tower seem smaller?”

On a related note, when the new SAT kicks in, we might want to band
together and collate student hypotheses in a central location. This might

1) give teachers ideas for potential types of research hypotheses
2) alert teachers if kids start sharing or selling hypotheses and data. I
can foresee a booming underground industry arising like that.

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com

*I accept NO kickback or consideration from any commercial organisation*
*and I'll give a delicious Double MacKing Burger (and small fries) to
anyone who can prove otherwise.*

I, Mark Kelly, am entirely responsible for the rambling verbiage I spew
forth.
Have I offended anyone with this post?  I would not be surprised.
If offended, please whinge to me at the email address above.
Please leave poor Kevork alone.  It is not his fault.