[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA exam - B10b (i)

Mark mark at vceit.com
Wed Nov 6 17:26:54 EST 2013

Hi all. I'm nearing the end of the post mortem, but this is turning into
one of the dodgiest ITA exams I've seen in some time.

Take this delight hiding in section B, Q10b part (i)...

"i. Describe how the manager can identify and display on a web page the
cheapest fruit available."

I'd like you all to pause for a moment and plan an answer to that in your
heads. I'll wait.

Finished? Are you sure?

"Yes, a quick =MIN(C2:C5) formula," you say.

But have you noticed the words "*and display on a web page*"?

Try answering it *now*.

Assuming that someone doesn't just *look* at the price onscreen and
*type*it into a webpage manually with a webpage editor, do the
examiners want
kids to explain some ColdFusion, DDE link, SQL, or PHP code to magically
extract a value from a spreadsheet/database and inject it into a dynamic
web page?

And even if we *did* just use the MIN function, it would only display the
*value* of the lowest price, not the *name* of the cheapest fruit... that's
an achievable, but very different kettle of fish.

And it's worth all of *2 marks*!

Beyond belief.

I'm dying to see what the examiner's report gives as a model answer...

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com

Day 19, I have successfully conditioned my master to smile and write in his
book every time I drool.- Pavlov's Dog