[Year 12 IT Apps] Password Security

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 12:07:59 EST 2013

Exactly! And thank you for the share, I missed that one!

The point of the New Scientist article was that  more complex passwords are
inevitably written down or recorded somewhere and that defeated the entire
memorization process. When you switch sites, you can pick a second random
word. When you are forced to change passwords, you can change the
concatenating symbol etc. Embrace Klingon or another non-English language
and you have a very secure password to use on Memory Alpha terminals.

It is important to randomise small words, not go with what is familiar.
Humour is good, especially with visual images to help memorise.

On 27 June 2013 09:34, ken price <kenjprice at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Roland,
>
> You mean, a bit like http://correcthorsebatterystaple.net/ ?
>
> Inspired by the classic cartoon http://xkcd.com/936/ which is worth
> having on your classroom wall.
>
> I showed this to my class a few years back, and most talked with their
> parents about it. As a result, many of them changed their passwords for
> work computers etc. A year later many of them still remember
> "correcthorsebatterystapler" so I suspect they actually used THAT as their
> password. I assume it's now an early candidate in any password hacking
> process.
>
> <<Irony Meter goes off-scale>>
>
> Ken
>

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Roland Gesthuizen <rgesthuizen at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Siri, voice authentication for Roland alpha omega five
>>
>> Spot the error hinted in the comments? Nearly all good password systems
>> have a brief lockout after a few attempts. This disables any brute force
>> approach. Foolish systems create obscure passwords that are hard to
>> remember and often written down. Pitiful systems stand idle as a user pours
>> an entire dictionary then more in to authenticate. Following an interesting
>> password report in the New Scientist, I still recommend for my students a
>> triangulated generation algorithm of two short random words with a symbol
>> to concatenate and logical variation between sites. They don't forget it.
>>
>> End subspace message
>>
>> Sent from Memory Alpha terminal five
>>
>> --

> --
> Dr Ken Price MACS CP ACCE Professional Associate.
> President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
Mead