[Year 12 IT Apps] Password Security

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 09:34:24 EST 2013

Thanks Roland,

You mean, a bit like http://correcthorsebatterystaple.net/ ?

Inspired by the classic cartoon http://xkcd.com/936/ which is worth having
on your classroom wall.

I showed this to my class a few years back, and most talked with their
parents about it. As a result, many of them changed their passwords for
work computers etc. A year later many of them still remember
"correcthorsebatterystapler" so I suspect they actually used THAT as their
password. I assume it's now an early candidate in any password hacking
process.

<<Irony Meter goes off-scale>>

Ken

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Roland Gesthuizen <rgesthuizen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Siri, voice authentication for Roland alpha omega five
>
> Spot the error hinted in the comments? Nearly all good password systems
> have a brief lockout after a few attempts. This disables any brute force
> approach. Foolish systems create obscure passwords that are hard to
> remember and often written down. Pitiful systems stand idle as a user pours
> an entire dictionary then more in to authenticate. Following an interesting
> password report in the New Scientist, I still recommend for my students a
> triangulated generation algorithm of two short random words with a symbol
> to concatenate and logical variation between sites. They don't forget it.
>
> End subspace message
>
> Sent from Memory Alpha terminal five

Dr Ken Price MACS CP ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au