[Year 12 IT Apps] Students meeting outcomes

Robert robert at yinnar.com
Tue Jun 4 16:28:12 EST 2013

Hi Stephanie,

Neither Wonderful nor Wise, but certainly older than Mark :-)

To add to Mark Scott's response to your question. I do not agree with Mark.

The study design clearly states that

"The award of satisfactory completion for a unit is based on a decision that the student has demonstrated achievement of the set of outcomes specified for the unit. This decision will be based on the teacher's assessment of the student's performance on assessment tasks designated for the unit."

So in terms of Unit 3 Outcome 2, Task 1, the student would have to

"Design, and develop using a relational database management system, a solution to an information problem"

This does require the student to, amongst other things: ( See Assessment Handbook )
  a.. select and use appropriate software functions of relational database management software, as published annually in the VCAA Bulletin VCE, VCAL and VET, to create database tables, relationships among them and to construct queries to retrieve required information (underlining mine)
If your student did not do this then he should not get an S. By your description he did not did not do all this.

By all means give him a chance to redeem himself, in fact you should do this.

Robert Hind
Retired
Ex Traralgon and Ashwood