[Year 12 IT Apps] Hard disk & SSD data recovery

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 22:51:11 EST 2012

Here is a horror story from Pixar about ToyStory 2. Worth sharing with your
students
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL_g0tyaIeE

Regards Roland

PS: Don't laugh. That backup in the kitchen may be just what your
organisation needs.

On 23 August 2012 10:35, ken price <kenjprice at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mark, that is very interesting esp the different way data is
> stored/replaced on SSD devices compared to old HDD platters.
>
> I was going to comment that Mr Honan must be feeling rather foolish as a
> technical expert for not having all this critical data backed up. Then I
> read the linked story and saw that he DID have complete multiple backups -
> all on Apple technology and linked via Apple's smart services. So
> ironically the automatic synching and management techniques designed to
> PROTECTS one's data ended up being the very way that all his data was wiped
> from all his devices.
>
> I guess one message is that backups need to be not only on different media
> and in different locations, but also logically separated (that is, not
> linked by synching/one-point management technologies). Until recently, that
> aspect probably wasn't an issue for most users.
>
> A $79 hard drive in the kitchen drawer might still need to be be part of
> the home backup plan even with iCloud and similar services...
>

> Ken Price
> Curriculum Services
> DoE Tasmania
>

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Mark KELLY <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au>wrote:
>
>> An interesting article on how professionals recover lost data from HDD
>> and SSD - might be handy leading into U4O2
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/how-drivesavers-got-my-data-back/
>>
>> --
>> Mark Kelly
>> Manager of ICT, Reporting, IT Learning Area
>> McKinnon Secondary College
>> McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204, Victoria, Australia
>> Direct line / Voicemail: +613 8520 9085, Fax +613 9578 9253
>> kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au << use this, not Edumail please!
>> VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
>> Moderator: IT Applications Edulist
>> --
>> Your word for today:  A tittle is the dot on the letter "i"

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
Mead