[Year 12 IT Apps] Streaming point to point in a school

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 10:59:39 EST 2011

I did suggest this and Skype but they are fixed on local point to point
solution with high video and audio quality. An additional advantage that
comes to mind is that parents who are unable to attend can remotely login.
Good point about the back channel, this would be brave to do :-)

Thanks for all the suggested sent to me off list, I really appreciate it :-)

Regards Roland

On 7 November 2011 07:51, Anne Mirtschin <mirtschin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Roland
> Have you considered using blackboard collaborate (ex- elluminate). It has
> a stronger video streaming option than skype, can be booked free though
> DEECD if you are a government school, it will also allow parents to ask txt
> questions via a backchannel through the chat option, should parents have
> individual access to a laptop or computer etc.
> Anne
>
> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Roland Gesthuizen <rgesthuizen at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> We have an interesting AV technical problem and I was hoping that
>> somebody would be able to recommend a solution or way forward.
>>
>> Because of the small size of our new building, we have to run a parent
>> information night in three locations. There is an advantage to this as we
>> can divide up our translation services. The thought was to broadcast a
>> video and voice feed from the main room to projection systems in the other
>> locations. It has been stressed that the quality must be good and the
>> signal stable. I did think to try skype but it was crossed off the list.
>>
>> It has already been suggested that we use VLC on a laptop recording a AV
>> signal form a good USB camera (video camera??) to stream to VLC players on
>> laptops in the other locations for display on a digital projector.
>>
>> Has anybody else done this before and what have they done?
>>
>> Regards Roland
>>
>> --
>> Roland Gesthuizen
>> eLearning Coordinator

>> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority and
>>
>> http://www.vitta.org.au  - VITTA Victorian Information Technology
>> Teachers Association Inc

> Teachers Association Inc

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
Mead