[Year 12 IT Apps] Streaming point to point in a school

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 22:15:36 EST 2011

We have an interesting AV technical problem and I was hoping that somebody
would be able to recommend a solution or way forward.

Because of the small size of our new building, we have to run a parent
information night in three locations. There is an advantage to this as we
can divide up our translation services. The thought was to broadcast a
video and voice feed from the main room to projection systems in the other
locations. It has been stressed that the quality must be good and the
signal stable. I did think to try skype but it was crossed off the list.

It has already been suggested that we use VLC on a laptop recording a AV
signal form a good USB camera (video camera??) to stream to VLC players on
laptops in the other locations for display on a digital projector.

Has anybody else done this before and what have they done?

Roland Gesthuizen
eLearning Coordinator