[Year 12 IT Apps] Databse Normalisation

JennyG j1 at imaginethis.biz
Mon Apr 18 12:48:23 EST 2011

Hi Mark,
I'm afraid to say your 3rd Normal form example in your Powerpoint is not normalized.
It would have 3 tables and look like this:

Tournaments table
TournamentCode
TournamentName
TournamentYear

Players table
PlayerCode - unique key
PlayerName
PlayerDOB

TournamentWinners table
TournamentCode
PlayerCode - both fields making the unique key

Also, repeating data does not mean repeating within one record. It means repeating customer details each time they buy something, or repeating it in a few tables, i.e if they order something then buy it. I hope I don't sound too much like a know it all but I am a bit of a database expert. I have been working with databases since 1981 and have only been teaching for the last few years.

Jenny Gielb
VCE IT Teacher
Chisholm Institute of TAFE
Dandenong Campus