[Year 12 IT Apps] Study design - 56Kbps modem

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 08:56:38 EST 2010

I guess someone has mentioned to their students this April Fools Day RFC
about a new "IP over Pigeon" communication standard?
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149

In many cases pigeon-based data transfer is faster than ADSL eg
http://www.notes.co.il/benbasat/5240.asp ,
http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com/2009/09/pigeon-beats-internet-in-data-transfer.html

Ken

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Roland Gesthuizen
<rgesthuizen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Wow, if I tug on a piece of string I can probably transmit at the rate of 4
> bps, if I could line up 16 clones with strings in parallel, I could probably
> reach this speed. The real bottleneck is my brain that operates at about one
> flop per second (with no check digit you can expect oodles of errors) a
> system for caching the string tugs and adding a user interface with some
> empty tin cans.
>
> Regards Roland
>

> On 25 March 2010 11:09, Mark KELLY <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> No, I mourn the *56 bps* modem - the long-standing typographical error in
>> the past 2 study designs!  :-)
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Robert <robert at yinnar.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  So sorry to see the demise of this wonderful device - I assume Mark
>>> that you meant 56Kbps, 56bps would be a tad slow even by the standards of
>>> yester-year. Gee I am getting old! How many of you "out there" started with
>>> 300bps modems?
>>>
>>> I still have the delight of using a 56Kbps modem for access when down at
>>> Yinnar. It works well although a tad slowly, especially when people send you
>>> emails with photos with file sizes of 1-4 MB.
>>>
>>> Brings up a different issue. The waste and cost to us all of sending
>>> oversize or useless data over the internet.
>>>
>>> Useless as in spam. It costs us all. Clogs up the network.
>>>
>>> Oversize as in the example of emails with photo attachments. Used to be
>>> that I would resize photos to 640x480, when that was the normal screen
>>> resolution, and save as jpg files at 70% quality to make sure that the files
>>> I sent were of a reasonable size. Not so any more. My rels take photos on
>>> their 10MB cameras and send them to me as high quality jpegs.  I can't even
>>> view them directly onscreen as they are far too  big. I don't want to print
>>> out high quality A4 prints from all these photos, so why send them to me at
>>> this size?
>>>
>>> Enough of the rantings of an aging, not yet old, fart.
>>>
>>> Robert Hind (Semi-retired)
>>> Ashwood and Traralgon
>>> robert at yinnar.com

Dr Ken Price MACS ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE